Many men and women struggle with cellulite. This skin condition occurs mostly on the upper thighs, buttocks, stomach and sometimes on lower legs and upper arms. Struggling with cellulite is surely annoying and entirely bothersome, but you can actually avoid it altogether if you know what you’re doing. This article will go over exactly what you need to do to prevent cellulite from forming in the first place.
What exactly is cellulite?
Before we give you all the secrets, let’s talk about what cellulite is. Cellulite is the common term for subcutaneous fat. This type of fat sits just below your top layer of skin. Some people tend to get cellulite more often than others, but it seems to be a common problem when there is fat on the body. Now, let’s see what you can do to prevent it.
1. Use lotions and keep your skin hydrated
- When the skin gets very dry, you may experience more incidents of cellulite. For this reason, it’s a good idea to use lotions or moisturizers every day on your skin.
- Try to use organic and natural moisturizers if you can. These can be found at health food stores and other drug stores.
- Make sure to focus on your thighs and upper arms because these tend to be the areas where people get the most cellulite.
2. Make sure you are exfoliating regularly
- It is also important to exfoliate your skin on a regular basis. You can do this in the shower or bath, and in fact, this is the best place to do it.
- To exfoliate, use a cleanser that has small beads in it. You can also use an exfoliating glove or loofah if you have one.
- Rub the areas gently but with some pressure, and use a circular motion.
3. Brush your skin every day
- You should also use the skin brushing technique. Do not use a regular hair brush but find a brush that is especially made for your skin.
- Every morning, try to brush your skin. You can do this at night too but stop if your skin gets too irritated.
- Again, focus on zones where cellulite tends to easily form. This is your thighs, upper arms, buttocks and for some people, their upper arms as well.
4. Do strength training on a regular basis
- Strength training will help to replace flab and fat in your thighs and arms with muscle. This is important to reduce and prevent the formation of cellulite.
- Strength training is anything that is low-impact but uses a lot of extra weight or your own body weight.
- As an example, try to do some squats, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and lunges. These will help especially with the thighs and buttocks. Your core (stomach) will also be helped.
5. Complete cardio workouts almost every day
- Cardio actually burns the fat away, although cardio won’t produce much muscle for you. You can do cardio almost every day.
- Do cardio workouts with medium to high intensity to truly prevent the formation of fat and thus the formation of cellulite.
- Try running, jogging, swimming, biking or playing a high intensity sport like basketball, tennis or hockey.
6. Eat the right foods
- To maintain a healthy weight, you’ll also need to assure that you are eating the right foods. You’ll want to eat a balanced diet made of mostly healthy things.
- Start by including lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. These will help you stay fuller for longer and give you a lean and firm silhouette with no cellulite.
- In addition to fruits and veggies, focus on eating a moderate amount of lean proteins like turkey breast and salmon, some healthy fats like avocado and olive oil and whole grains like brown rice and wheat pasta.
7. Avoid the wrong foods
- There are some foods you’ll want to avoid as well. Make sure that you’re not eating many refined white grains, sugars or other high calorie foods.
- You should avoid too much sugar by staying away from cookies, candies, ice creams and other sweets.
- In addition, try not to eat too many saturated fats. This means no fried foods, chips, French fries and other items.
8. Drink plenty of water every day
- Water will be your savior if you want to avoid cellulite. Those people who drink a lot of water tend to avoid having too much of this subcutaneous fat on their bodies. It’s very important to drink your water.
- If you don’t like drinking plain water, you can try drinking more milk, (some) juices and green or herbal teas.
- Aim to drink at least half of however much you weigh in ounces of water or water-based/non-caffeinated drinks every day.
9. Massage your skin or get massages
- Massaging the skin can also prevent cellulite form forming. You can massage your skin at any time by yourself, or you can get massages from massage therapists.
- If you massage yourself, just use light pressure and your fingertips to massage areas of the body that might get cellulite. This will help prevent it from forming.
- You might want to use a lotion or massage oil to help glide your fingers over your skin better as well.
10. Stay at a healthy weight
- All in all, one of the best ways to avoid cellulite is to maintain a healthy weight. This will be different for everyone.
- You can check out how much you should weight according to national standards by going online and entering your age, height, current weight, build and gender into a weight database calculator.
- If you find that you are not currently at your desired weight bracket, simply go on a diet and count calories to lose some extra fat.
Many people have to deal with cellulite and try to get rid of it, but if you don’t have any or not much right now, you can avoid the problem altogether by using the 10 surefire tips in this article!
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, or questions below.