Dry and flaky skin can be very annoying and uncomfortable. It can also be difficult to work with when you want to wear makeup and look nice for a date or event. You may feel like you don’t even want to leave the house with your skin. If you have flaky skin, you know that there are lots of issues that can go into why it is happening, but this article will help you to take care of it fast and effectively.
Why Do Some People Get Flaky Skin on Their Faces?
Flaky skin can happen for several different reasons. Most often, flaky and dry skin occurs because people are not taking care of their skin the way they should. In other words, they may not be using moisturizers or skin masks on a regular basis. In addition, flaky skin may be the cause of using irritating skin care products like drying facial cleansers or toners. Finally, flaky skin can occur for medical reasons because of medication side effects or as a result of a skin disorder like eczema.
What Does Flaky Skin Look Like?
Flaky skin is something that can plague anyone. It generally occurs on the face around the eyes and nose. It can also appear on the cheeks or between the eyes on the forehead. You may notice that your skin is itchy, rough in patches and scaly.
In addition, remember that skin can change over time, so even if you had moisturized and non-flaky skin at a young age, you might get dry and flaking skin when you get older.
1. Develop a Good Skin Care Routine for Dry Skin
You’ll need to develop a skin care routine for yourself that incorporates everything yo’ll need to eliminate dry skin.
- You will need to start with a facial cleanser. Use this once per morning and once per evening before you go to bed. Make sure to massage the cleanser into your skin with warm water. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Next, you will want to moisturize the skin with a simple lotion. Focus on the dry areas, and do this every morning and every night as well. Don’t forget to put the moisturizer on your neck as well. Use a different moisturizer on your eyes—one that is especially made for your eyes. When your skin is especially dry, make sure to add a few drops of jojoba oil and mix it in with the moisturizer.
- Finally, you will want to apply makeup if you wear it. Of course, this step will only be used in the morning for the day. At night, you will finish your routine with the moisturizer, but in the morning, you should apply a concealer and a foundation over your moisturizer. If you want to even your skin tone, you can also add a skin primer.
2. Prepare a Weekly Natural Mask for Dry Skin
A weekly mask can help to eliminate flaky skin, but make sure you do not use it more than once per week or your skin might end up getting drier.
- You will need to gather your ingredients. You’ll need 1 egg white, 1/2 avocado and 1 teaspoon of honey. In a small bowl, use a fork to mix these ingredients together.
- Mix everything and apply the mask to your face once per week. Make sure that your skin is clean and dry before applying the mask. Apply it slowly all over the skin, but do not worry about rubbing it in.
- Leave the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes. It is a chunky sort of mask, so it may be easy for it to fall off. For that reason, do not wear clothing that you don’t want to get ruined. When the 15 to 20 minutes is up, you can rinse off the mask with warm water and a wash cloth. Splash the water on your face so that all of the product is gone and dab your face dry with a clean towel.
3. Avoid Using Skin Irritants
Many skin care products are irritating to the skin. They may work for some people but not work for you and dry your skin out. In addition, don’t be surprised if a cleanser or moisturizer works great during one part of the year—for instance, the summer—and stops working during another part of the year—for instance, the winter.
- Figure out all of the products that you are currently using on your skin. These may be any of the following: facial cleansers, moisturizers, lotions, masks, toners, primers, concealers, blushes, bronzers and foundations.
- After you have made a list of everything you usually use on your face, you should systematically go through each product. Stop using each product for a while to see if your flaky skin goes away.
- Eliminate the products that are causing your skin to get dry and flaky. Replace these products with products that do not have irritating factors in them.
4. Try Some Other Dry Skin Techniques
There are a few other things that you can do to help promote healthy, moisturized skin.
- First, try turning on a humidifier in your home. A humidifier adds moisture to the air, and it can be especially useful during the cold, winter months.
- Do not go into the sun excessively. The sun can really dry out your skin, and it can also cause more wrinkles and sun spots. You can protect your skin form the sun by wearing a daily moisturizer or foundation with SPF.
5. Consider Seeing a Skin Care Specialist
Last but not least, remember that you may need to see a dermatologist if you are having serious dry skin issues. A dermatologist is a doctor who specializes in disorders of the skin. It is important to talk to a dermatologist is you have dry and flaky skin that is very painful or itchy. You may need some medication to help with your skin issues. Otherwise, you can use the steps above to rid yourself of flaky skin on the face fast.
Have questions or comments?, Let me know what you think below!