Many men and women have trouble with a lot of extra fat on their legs. This can be embarrassing when you want to wear shorts, a shorter skirt or dress, play sports or be with your significant other. Some people even refuse to go to the beach or wear a bathing suit by the pool because they are embarrassed of the extra fat and cellulite on their legs.
Fortunately for these individuals, there are a few key things that you can easily do in your own life that will get rid of this leg fat once and for all. These are not hard things, and they take a little work and extra time, but not too much.
Why Do Some People Gain More Weight in Their Legs?
One of the reasons that people gain more weight in their legs is that they simply have a special body type that gives them more weight on their legs. There are several different body types, and you can tell which one yours is by looking at the overall shape that your body gets when you gain weight. If you are a pear-shaped person, you might have extra weight in your legs, but have a smaller upper body.
1. Start by Creating an Exercise Regimen for Yourself
Starting an exercise regimen is easy when you know what you’re doing. The goal here has two parts. First, you will want to try to slim down so you can burn a lot of calories by exercising. Next, you can tone your musculature with some vigorous strength training. You will learn about implementing both of these types of exercising below.
- First, make sure that you have a schedule. Get a blank planner or calendar and devote it entirely to your exercise plan. Hold yourself accountable for taking care of your body.
- Next, you will want to decide where you will be exercising. Do you want to exercise at home, join a gym, hire a personal trainer, take workout classes or do something else?
- Once you know where you will be exercising, you’ll need to decide when you will exercise and for how long. Again, you must hold yourself accountable. To truly get rid of that fat in your legs, you’ll need to make sure you are holding yourself to exercising at least 5 to 6 days per week. You should give yourself just 1 day of rest per week so that your muscles can calm down and rebuild.
- Finally, in terms of your exercise routine, you’ll need to figure out which exercises to do. You will want to do both cardio exercise and strength training. In terms of cardio, this will help you to eliminate the fat in your legs. The best cardio exercises for eliminating leg fat are running, biking and doing an elliptical machine. These exercises work your legs the most.
- The strength training should be leg-centric as well. You will want to do lots of different types of leg moves, such as squats, lunges and leg lifts. These will help to slim your muscles in your legs, and remember muscle weighs less than fat. Not only that, but it also looks slimmer than fat, so your legs will look lean and thin.
3. You’ll Need to Go on a Diet as Well
In addition to creating a thorough exercise regimen for yourself, you’ll need to put yourself on a diet too. This doesn’t have to be a super strict diet that will make you tired, cranky and starving all of the time. The goal is to eat healthier and consume less overall calories so that you can start shedding some of the unwanted fat on your legs and possibly other areas of your body.
- To start your diet, you’ll want to figure out how many calories you need to eat normally to stay the same weight. Then you should make sure you keep track of your food in a food diary and with a calorie count book. Aim to have 500 calories less than your normal amount each day.
- In addition to counting calories, try to eat a lot more veggies and fruits. You should try to eat at least 6 servings of fruits and veggies each day. You can eat salads, soups, stews, stir fries and other veggie dishes to help accomplish this.
- Lastly, you’ll want to cut out certain foods as well. You should not be eating very many carbs, sugars or fats. These foods are bad for you and will add a lot more weight to your legs. Cutting out these foods and aiming to consume a lot less alcohol will help you to lose weight overall and especially lose fat and weight in your legs.
4. Other Things You Can Do to Lose Weight in Your Legs
Remember you can do a few other things to help slim your legs, and most of these involve focusing on basically losing weight and keeping your motivation. You’ll need to take control of your schedule and keep yourself interested in your goals to help yourself lose the fat in your legs.
- First, help yourself to be less bloated. You can do this in three key ways. First, you will want to stop consuming large amounts of sodium. That means cutting down on salt and processed foods. In addition, try to drink more water, and lastly, you will want to try to eat less carbohydrates and sugars.
- Next, try to get a workout buddy to exercise with. This might be a friend, a family member or someone you meet at the gym. This person will help you to hold yourself accountable, and it will much more fu to exercise with them!
Last but not least, don’t chastise yourself too much for having some extra weight in your legs. It’s not the end of the world, and a little extra weight here and there won’t hurt your health. If you seriously need to lose weight in your legs because of health concerns or because you have more than 40 pounds to lose, just follow the instructions found in this easy to use article. You will get there with a little elbow grease and passion! Good luck on your weight loss journey.
If you have any questions or thoughts, please feel free to comment below. I look forward to hearing from you.