Getting a sunburn can not only be unsightly to look it, but it can be seriously painful and terrible for your skin. After you get a sunburn, your goal should be to reduce the redness and inflammation and also avoid getting skin peeling scars. Fortunately, there are ways you can get rid of sunburn naturally and overnight.
Oatmeal has a very calming effect on the skin and can be used wonderfully to treat sunburn. It soothes the skin while still allowing it to maintain moisture.
- Fill up your bathtub with some lukewarm water. Put in two cups of dried oatmeal and mix.
- Get in the tub, and allow the oatmeal and water mixture to go over you. Stay there for about one hour. Read a book or magazine to pass the time.
- When you get out, rinse off with the shower to remove any oatmeal pieces.
- Dry with a towel, and repeat this bath again later in the day to get rid of your sunburn.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera, a plant, has long been used by humans to treat cuts, puncture wounds, burns and other scars. For this reason, it is great to use on sunburns. You can either purchase an aloe vera plant or just buy a tube or container of aloe vera gel.
- If you are using an aloe vera leaf, squeeze out some of the gel. Otherwise, squeeze some out of the tube and put it in a cup. Put the cup in the fridge for two hours.
- Apply the gel to your sunburned skin, taking care not to press or rub too hard. You don’t need to rub this gel in. Just allow it to sit on top of the skin.
- Leave it on and let it dry. You will not need to rinse the aloe vera gel off.
- Apply your aloe vera gel about four to five times right after you experience sunburn. If necessary, ask a friend or relative to put the gel on your back if you can’t reach the sunburn.
Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy the warm and nice weather and head to the beach. The only trouble is that the bright, lovely sun also has damaging UV rays associated with it. Make sure to avoid getting a sunburn in the first place by always wearing a large hat, sunglasses and most importantly, sunscreen when you go outside.