Many women suffer from dark underarms. If you are one of these women, you know how embarrassing it can be. You are always trying to shave away the discoloration or simply keeping your arms at your sides when you wear tank tops. Many women are afraid to wear tank tops at all, and still more women won’t put on bathing suits and go to the beach or relax by a pool. This is a true shame, and no woman should have to go through this. Every woman should feel comfortable in her own skin.
If you are someone who has dark armpits, you are in the right place. With the home-based remedies and helpful advice in this article, you can learn how to lighten underarms in a week. Get your confidence back. Read on to learn more.
Why Do Dark Underarms Occur in Some People?
There is not one reason why dark underarms occur. It really can happen to any woman of any age, race or size. Instead, it could be any number of things as is the case with most beauty issues and problems. Let’s review these possible issues before going on to how to get rid of this problem because it can sometimes be helpful to know what is causing a beauty issue in the first place.
- One of the main reasons that it could be happening is that dead skin cells have simply built up in that area of the body. You sweat a lot here, so it makes sense that the area could darken because of dead cells, oil and dirt buildup.
- In addition, some of the products you are using could be causing this problem. A lot of deodorizers or deodorants have strong chemicals that act as antiperspirants. These could cause an inflammatory response and darken the underarms.
- Finally, some women have more melanin in their skin. These women tend to be darker. For example, black and hispanic women have darker skin, so they may have more trouble with dark skin under their arms than very light-skinned women.
1. Try Natural Remedies
Exfoliating can go a long way when it comes to taking care of lightening the underarms.
- Orange: Dry some orange peels in the sun and grind them into a powder. Then, use this powder to make a past by adding some milk. Use this mixture as an exfoliant when you’re in the shower. Massage it there for about 30 seconds before rinsing and patting dry.
- Rosewater and Baking Soda: You can make a thick paste when you combine rosewater and baking soda. Apply it to the underarms and massage there for 30 seconds before rinsing in the shower or bath. Pat dry.
- Sugar: Sugar is an excellent exfoliant. Simply mix up 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil with 1 cup of brown sugar in a bowl. Apply this mixture to your wet underarm skin and massage it there for about 30 seconds. Take a shower and rinse the area. Use this mixture twice per week.As a side note, do not use salt as this can be uncomfortable and irritating to the underarm skin. This is especially true if you shave your underarms.
- Vinegar: Make a paste out of vinegar and some rice flower. In this case, take a shower first to open up the pores, then put the paste on your underarms for about 10 or 15 minutes until the paste has dried. Rinse the paste off and pat dry.
2. Use a Whitening Pack
A whitening pack can take up a lot of your time, but if you’re dedicated to getting rid of those dark underarms, you can whiten them in less than a week.
- First, gather your ingredients. You’ll want to have yogurt, chickpea flour, lemon and some turmeric. Mix all of these ingredients in a little bowl
- You’ll now have a thick paste on your hands. Apply this mixture to your underarms and leave the paste on for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes is up, you can rinse off the paste with warm water. Make sure you do this every day for a week.
3. Start Waxing Instead of Shaving
Some people grow hair faster than others. In addition, some people’s hair is darker than others. If you have fast-growing, dark hair and you are shaving your underarms, this is what could be causing the dark appearance there.
The truth is, many tiny dots of dark stubble could be making you think that your underarms are very dark, when in fact, the skin is very light, but the hairs are coming in dark. This often causes a gray appearance.
You can get rid of this stubble by waxing instead of shaving or using a cream hair remover. Waxing can be done at home by yourself or at a salon by a professional. Keep in mind that salons can be rather expensive, but it can be difficult to master home waxing—especially if you’re not exactly sure what you’re doing.
4. Try Medical Remedies as a Last Resort
Last but not least, if you are having no luck with the home remedies listed above, you can try talking with your doctor or dermatologist because something bigger could be going on.
- Acanthosis nigricans is a skin disorder that can cause velvety brown and black markings on certain areas of the body. This condition is often related to a disorder of the endocrine system, or it could be caused by obesity. Your doctor will be able to diagnose this condition and help with it.
- Acanthosis nigricans could also be caused by Addison’s disease, growth hormone therapy, the use of oral contraceptives, pituitary gland disorders or hypothyroidism. It could be a symptom of any of these issues.
You should never have to hide your underarms because you are embarrassed. If you have a problem with dark underarms, simply use all of the information found in this article to lighten those underarms in only a week’s time!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this article. As always, feel free to ask any questions or give your input as you see fit.