As you get older, there are a lot of health fears that you may have, but there are probably a lot of fears that you might have about the way you look as well. One of the biggest fears that many men and women have in this realm is about hair loss.
How can you make sure to prevent hair loss and the subsequent bald spots that ensue as you grow older? The medical term that doctors and dermatologists use for hair loss is Anagen effluvium, and it’s a serious concern for many people.
So that is what we will be delving into in this article. We’re going to be talking about how you can change your routine to prevent loss of hair and how you can use special treatments to prevent losing your hair and getting bald spots as well.
How to Take Care of Your Hair to Avoid Balding
The best way by far to help prevent bald spots is to know the right way to take care of your hair. There are several steps involved in this that you need to be aware of, so let’s get started.
1. Beware of coloring products you use
First, you need to be aware of what you are doing to your hair if you color it or bleach it. Coloring and bleaching can make your hair look beautiful, and it can be fun to play around with different shades. But bleaching especially can seriously damage your hair and make it fall out or break halfway up the shaft.
If you can, try to use hair dye that is ammonia free, and avoid bleaching altogether. This means that those with dark hair will likely not be able to go lighter, but you will certainly have other options available to you for nice colors. Finally, never perm your hair.
2. Wash your hair at least once every 2 days
You need to make sure that you wash your hair on a regular basis. This cleans the shaft of each hair strand, but it also cleans your scalp. A clean scalp does not bald easily because it cannot get infections that may cause hair loss. As a general rule, you should wash your hair at least once every other day. Some people prefer to wash their hair once per day, but do not exceed this. Here are some tips for shampooing.
- 1. You don’t need a lot of shampoo, just work up a lather with some water.
- 2. Try to buy shampoo that is made for your type of hair. For example, if you can find shampoo for curly, fine, thick, frizzy, limp and straight hair. There are also shampoos specifically for people there dandruff.
- 3. If you have a sensitive scout, try using baby shampoo.
- 4. Massage the shampoo gently into your scalp, and don’t worry about working it into your hair strands individually because as you rinse, the bottoms of your hair shafts will be washed naturally.
3. Condition your hair on a regular basis
Bald spots may also be caused by not having enough moisture on your scalp, and this is where hair conditioners come in. You should not condition your hair every day or it may become greasy.
Too much conditioner on the scalp can also cause hair follicles to clog up, and you might end up with some infections there. Try to instead condition your hair at least three times per week. Here are some tips for using conditioner.
- 1. You can use a small amount of conditioner on your hair roots and the scalp, but don’t massage the conditioner there too long or it may end up making your hair look greasy.
- 2. Try using a shampoo and conditioning combinations from the same brand to get your desired effect.
- 3. You can choose hair conditioners that are particular to your hair type as well: fine, curly, straight, thick, frizzy or limp.
- 4. To have your conditioner work the best, put it on your hair and leave it there for at least three minutes while you do other things in the shower or bath.
- 5. Try coconut oil on your hair as a deep conditioning mask that you leave on for at least 20 minutes at a time.You can do this once per week.
4. Know what products to use with your hair
Keep in mind that some haircare products can damage your hair and cause balding. If you notice changes in your hair quality after starting use of a new product, cease use immediately.
In addition, women may encounter issues with hair damage when they use heat products like blowdryers, hair straighteners and curling irons. If you absolutely must use these products to style your hair the way that you want it, make sure to use a spray or gel heat protectant on your hair beforehand to avoid severe damage.
Finally, even using a ponytail holder on your hair can damage roots and cause some breakage. If you’re going to use a ponytail holder, try to use one that is bigger or cushioned and don’t pull too tightly.
5. Try vitamins to prevent bald spots
There are some vitamins on the market that have been proven to help with hair care as well. For example, keratin helps to make care stronger and prevent breakage. Vitamin D is also important for good hair care, nail care and teeth quality. You can find both of these vitamins in supplement form at your local drugstore. You can also get more vitamin D from going into the sun during off hours for at least 10 minutes per day without sunscreen.
Taking good care of your hair is by far the best way to prevent bald spots and hair loss from occurring in the first place, and this is much easier than having to deal with this problem after it has already occurred. Follow the directions in this article to ensure that you can prevent hair loss from happening.
Overall, I hope you enjoy this article, and as always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts below.