Everyone wants to have clear, smooth skin without acne, sun spots and wrinkles. Most of these skin conditions can be taken care of simply by moisturizing and washing your skin on a daily basis. However, acne scars plague many people and are the cause of much skin distress, and these scars are often a little bit harder to get rid of.
Lucky for you, there are some simple ways that you can effectively take care of those darn acne scars that just don’t seem to go away. This article has 10 full-proof recipes for getting rid of acne scars, and all of them use items and products that are already found in the home. Take your time to peruse these remedies and find the ones that work for getting rid of your acne scars.
What Causes Acne Scars and Can They Be Avoided?
Of course, acne scars are caused by pimples, zits, blackheads, whiteheads and other forms of acne. But not all acne causes acne scars. That is, they are usually formed when a pimple is abnormally large and leaves a gouge in the skin or when the individual picks and pops the blemish.
Naturally, it is wise not to pick or pop a blemish. Messing with pimples is usually what causes these acne scars to form in the first place. But if you are reading this, it may be too late to go back in time and stop picking at zits. If that’s the case, read on to learn how to get rid of those scars!
1. Potato in the Raw
- Raw potatoes have powerful nutrients to help rejuvenate old layers of skin and produce new layers.
- Cut a raw potato into slices that are around 1 inch thick.
- Every day, rub the slices onto your face where you have acne scars. Do it until the potato slice is dry, then use another for about 10 minutes total.
2. Onion Juice
- Onion juice is actually present in many over the counter and prescription medicines that are supposed to get rid of scars.
- You’ll need to either grind or grate several onions (wear goggles to protect your eyes!) so that you can get the juice out.
- Mix the juice with some honey to create a paste and apply it to your face for 20 minutes before rinsing. The honey will help to mask the onion smell.
3. Jojoba Oil
- Jojoba oil is great for people with acne because it does not clog the pores and won’t cause more acne!
- To get rid of scars with jojoba oil, take a few drops on your fingertips and gently rub into the scars every night.
- Leave the oil on and rinse it off in the morning.
4. Tomatoes and Tomato Juice
- The lycopene in tomatoes and tomato juice can really help to regenerate skin layers that do not have scars on them. Lycopene is a key nutrient to help people look young.
- You’ll be making a tomato pulp. Simply cut up some fresh tomatoes and crush all of the pieces as much as you can.
- To a clean face, apply the tomato pulp and let it rest on your face for about 20 minutes. Rinse your face.
5. Honey Mask
- Raw organic honey is a natural lubricant and can take care of acne scars as well as other skin conditions like wrinkles and age spots.
- Simply wash your face so that it is clean and dry, then apply raw organic honey with your fingertips.
- Let the honey dry on your face for about 20 to 30 minutes before taking it off with a soft cloth and washing your face again with a mild cleanser.
6. Aloe Vera and Avocado Mask
- When you have acne scars, your skin is often very irritated and may be ready to break out—again!
- You can soothe irritated skin, prevent another breakout and get rid of acne scars all by using aloe vera.
- Purchase an aloe vera plant, and use the juice on your skin at least once every other day for immediate results. Try using it with avocado to make a great mask!
7. Baking Soda
- You can use the antibacterial properties in baking soda to clean up acne scars and make them disappear.
- Make a baking soda mask by creating a paste. Just add water to powdered baking soda.
- Apply the paste to your skin where you have acne scars (on your face or body) and leave it on for 10 minutes. Take time to massage it in for a few seconds as well before rinsing.
8. Lemon Juice and Cocoa Butter
- Fresh lemon juice helps to stimulate collagen, and collagen is just what you need to get rid of scars. Cocoa butter will help to add more moisture.
- Simply juice a lemon and put the juice to dry on your scars.
- If this is too potent for your skin, try adding cocoa butter for a great cream.
9. Get Out of the Sun
- The sun makes everything bad on your skin worse. It creates wrinkles, lines, sun spots and it damages scars even worse.
- Wear a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every time you go outside.
- Protect your skin with clothing and hats too, and use sunglasses when it’s very bright.
10. Do Not Pick at Your Acne
- The number one cause of acne scars is picking the scars.
- Instead of picking your scars, get a needle, stick the end in alcohol to disinfect it, and pop your zit.
- Clean and disinfect the area, but do nothing else to it.
For most men and women, these remedies will take care of your acne scars without any problems. All of the products mentioned here are healthy for your skin and natural. In some cases, however, you may want to consider seeing a professional about your scars. There may be laser therapies that can be performed to get rid of the very worst scars on your face. Try these remedies first, however, and see how effective they can be!
If you have any questions or thoughts, please feel free to comment below. I look forward to hearing from you.