Bad breath is truly the pits. You might be on a date, wanting to impress the person you’re with—but bad breath will probably make it so you two never go on a second date. You might be giving a presentation for your job in front of higher ups at your company—but bad breath will definitely give you a bad rap!
There are ways to take care of your bad breath, however. No one needs to live with halitosis (bad breath) forever. Sometimes, getting rid of stinky breath and that bad taste in your mouth is as easy as chewing on a few mint leaves. Let’s look at 10 amazing home remedies that will give you fresh breath in no time. But first, let’s examine why bad breath occurs in some individuals.
What Causes Bad Breath In the First Place?
All cases of bad breath are difference, and in fact, truthfully everyone will experience bad breath at at least one point in their lives. For many people, halitosis is caused by bad oral hygiene. You need to make sure that you are brushing your teeth and flossing twice per day, and if you suffer especially from bad breath, make that brushing and flossing twice a day everyday plus after every meal. Mouthwash, gum and mints can also help if you can’t brush.
Other causes of bad breath are disease, illness, side effects from medication, heredity, overactive salivary glands or eating too much of foods that are very potent smelling (like onions and garlic).
1. Watch Out for Potent Smelling Foods
- This first one is easy. If you avoid the foods that give you bad breath, you’ll probably avoid bad breath too!
- These foods include garlic, onions and some spicy foods. Some cheeses may also be bad for your breath.
- If you do eat these foods, always brush your teeth or pop a piece of minty gum directly after.
2. Herbs Such as Mint and Parsley
- That little sprig of green on your fancy plate is not just a garnish. Many restaurants put that there for you to chew on after your meal.
- Herbs are powerful at fighting bad smells. All you need to do is chew on the leaves to notice a difference.
- Parsley and mint are great, but basil can also work!
3. Baking Soda
- Baking soda is found in many toothpastes and can definitely help your breath smell better.
- Simply get a little baking soda on your fingertips and sprinkle it onto your tongue.
- Take a small sip of water and swish the baking soda around in your mouth for at least 20 to 30 seconds. Spit and rinse.
4. Herbal Tea
- There are essential antioxidants in tea that do away with bad-breath-causing bacteria.
- If you like warm tea, make a cup of it each night before bed to help eliminate bacteria overnight.
- You can also make some hot tea and cool it in the fridge for a refreshing cold drink!
- The antimicrobial properties in fennel will really help you regenerate your mouth so that it does not harbor bacteria.
- Keep a small pouch or bag of fennel with you wherever you go. When you use it after a meal, just pop some dried fennel into your mouth and chew.
- You will notice a difference in the way your breath tastes and smells in no time.
6. Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil is great for so many problems, and it smells lovely.
- You have some choices here. First, you can simply buy a toothpaste that already has tea tree oil as an active ingredient.
- If you wish, you can also simply purchase the oil itself and add a few drops into your mouthwash every time you use it. Make sure not to use too much of this potent oil.
7. Lemon Juice Rinse.
- For generations, people have been using lemon juice as a way to clean the mouth and freshen bad odors there.
- It’s easy. all you need to do is dilute some fresh lemon juice with a bit of water.
- Swish the solution around in your mouth for about 10 seconds, then spit.
- The key ingredient in cinnamon is cinnamic aldehyde, and it is actually known as an essential oil. This compound will take care of bacteria in your mouth, and it will cover up a bad smell!
- Simply boil a few cups of water, and add some ground cinnamon.
- Let the water cool, and use it as a rinse.
9. Make Sure You Are Cleaning Your Tongue
- Many people clean their tongue by running their toothbrush over it quickly one time after working on their teeth. This is not the way to do it.
- You must spend at least 20 seconds cleaning your tongue because this is mostly where your bad breath will be coming from.
- Alternatively, you can get a tongue scraper, which will do a great job at cleaning the tongue.
10. Drink More Water
- Bad breath is often caused by dry mouth, which is why you will want to make sure that you are drinking adequate amounts of water every day.
- Your goal should be 8 glasses of 8 ounces or more each day.
- Remember, you can include juice and milk in this but not coffee, caffeinated tea, soda or alcohol.
These remedies will show you the light when it comes to taking care of bad breath. You will no longer have to cover your mouth when talking to someone in close quarters or stop yourself from laughing when you’re in a small group. You will be able to rest easy knowing that you have taken care of your bad breath the natural way!
Overall, I hope you enjoy this article, and as always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts below.