Dark spots on the skin may be caused by many things, including age spots, sun spots and past acne blemishes. These dark spots can be embarrassing as well as annoying. But there are ways to get rid of these spots. You can even get rid of them via all natural home remedies. This article will incorporate 10 amazing home remedies for getting rid of pesky dark spots.
1. Honey and Banana Mask
- Honey is a great antiseptic, and banana is moisturizing. Together, they can clear up many skin issues.
- Mash 1/2 of a ripe banana, and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of raw organic honey. Mix everything together well and apply the mixture to your skin where you notice dark spots.
- Leave the mask on for about 10 to 20 minutes before wiping off with a warm damp wash cloth. Cleanse the skin as normal.
2. Citrus Fruits
- Citrus fruits are the only natural ingredient that can lighten your skin, so they’re great for dark spots.
- You can choose from grapefruits, lemons, limes or oranges.
- Simple cut one of the fruits in half, and rub the cut side all over your skin once per day.
- Papaya has tons of excellent antioxidants for rejuvenating the skin and making it look for youthful and evenly toned. Remember to take care when using papaya because some people may be allergic to this particular fruit.
- Cut a papaya in half, and take all of the pulp out of the center with a large scoop or spoon. This can be discarded. Mash the rest of the papaya into a bowl or use a hand mixer if you prefer.
- Use a brush and rub the papaya onto the skin where you have noticeable dark spots. Leave it on until it dries, then simply wash it away with some cool water.
4. Red Onion
- Onions are great for scars and dark spots, and they can even help wrinkles. Make sure that you choose a fresh red onion for this home remedy.
- Cut the onion in half, and rub the cut side onto the area where you have dark spots. Rub it for about 60 seconds.
- Leave the juice on your skin for about 10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water and cleanse the skin to reduce the onion smell.
5. Castor Oil Cleanse
- There are important antioxidants in castor oil that can help rectify dark spots even after they’ve been there a long time.
- Try a castor oil cleanse by softly rubbing a few drops of the oil all over your face until it is shiny. Put a warm compress over the oil for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After the time is up, wipe away the excess oil with the compress. Do this nightly.
6. Chickpea Paste
- Chickpeas pack a lot of vitamins A and E, so they’re great at repairing skin to its natural state.
- Make an easy to use chickpea mash or paste by grinding up 1 cup of canned and cooked chickpeas in a blender or food processor.
- Apply the paste to your skin where you have dark spots and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Remove the paste, and cleanse your skin.
7. Grated Potato and Honey
- Potatoes have a lot of moisture and are great for clearing up age spots, sun spots and even scars. You can use the power of potatoes best by grinding them. Grate them with a grater, or put them in a blender.
- Mix the ground or grated potatoes with some water and a little honey so that you have a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your dark spots and leave it on for half an hour before wiping away and cleansing the area.
8. Exfoliate With Sugar
- Sometimes dark spots form after dead skin cells build up. These can be easily removed with some deep exfoliation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of table sugar with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Using your fingertips, get your face a little wet with warm water and use the sugar and oil paste to massage your skin for about 2 or 3 minutes before wiping away.
9. Check Your Medications
- Keep in mind that some medications may cause dark spots, and this could be why these skin issues are a problem for you.
- Check the common side effects on the medications you are taking, and look for dark spots.
- If spots are a common side effect, talk to the doctor who prescribed your medications and ask if there are any alternatives. They may be able to offer you something that won’t change your skin tone.
10. Drink Plenty of Water
- Dehydrated skin is bound to cause skin problems, so always drink lots of water.
- Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water each and every day.
- If you have trouble getting enough plain water into your diet, try adding some juices or other drinks that do not contain alcohol or caffeine.
Keep in mind that dark spots can be prevented in some ways, and prevention is key. For starters, when going out into the sun, you should always cover your your face and arms and legs the best you can. In addition, make sure that you wear sunscreen all the time—this is true even when it’s an overcast day. The harmful UV rays of the sun can still penetrate your skin when it’s cloudy.
Make sure that you also avoid popping any blemishes that you may have. Instead of using your fingers to pop them (oil and dirt can get in the blemish and exacerbate the problem), you should use a sterile gauze to Q-tips to pop the area then disinfect it. Other than that, when you do encounter dark spots on the skin, use these 10 remedies to get rid of them once and for all.
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave your thoughts below. I look forward to the discussion.