It’s not uncommon for some men and women to suffer from extremely dry hair. With dry hair often comes split ends, breakage and frizziness—nothing that anyone wants in their hair!
There are some things you can do to take care of your dry hair, however, and here, we have compiled a list of 10 home remedies for taking care of this issue. You won’t need any expensive shampoos or creams or damaging treatments at the salon. All you need are a few natural products to get your hair healthy, shiny and moisturized.
Why do Some People Get Dry Hair?
Let’s discuss why dry hair happens first. Everyone’s hair is different, but some people certainly have a bigger tendency to have dry hair. Dry can be the result of washing too much, using too many heat products like hair dryers and straighteners or living in a climate where the air is very dry. Dry hair can be hereditary. Occasionally, dry hair is caused by a larger underlying medical issue. And sometimes, there is nothing you can do about dry hair but try some natural remedies—like these!
1. Henna Treatment
- For centuries, all natural henna has been used on hair to dye it different colors and provide excellent hydration. Keep in mind that to use henna, your hair must be dark brown or black.
- Start by shaving the henna into fine bits and adding water to create a paste. Apply the paste to all of your hair and wrap it in saran wrap.
- Leave the henna on for 1 to 2 hours before rinsing well in the shower.
2. Overnight Jojoba Oil Wrap
- Jojoba oil is one of the best non comedogenic oils out there. This means that you can leave it on your head over night without worrying about clogging the pores on your scalp.
- Find some organic jojoba oil and heat it slightly in the microwave.
- Apply it to your hair as a heat treatment. Wrap it tightly (but not too tight) in saran wrap, and then put a shower cap on. Leave on overnight and rinse in the morning.
3. Argan Oil on Dry Hair
- Argan oil has been recently listed as one of the top oils for the body and hair in terms of hydration. When dry hair’s got you down, reach for argan oil to find a cure.
- Apply argan oil to dry hair all the way through and wait 1 hour.
- Rinse, and perform this routine every other day.
4. Honey and Banana Mask
- Honey is an excellent lubricant and has all-natural oils that will nourish your hair and give it sheen. Bananas are naturally soothing and will calm the frayed ends of your hair.
- Mash 2 bananas with 3 Tbsp of raw organic honey in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to the hair and wait 30 minutes before you rinse. Repeat daily.
5. Honey and Avocado Mask
- Again, honey will be your best friend when it comes to dry hair. But avocados (chock full of healthy oils) will certainly come in handy as well.
- Mash 1 banana with 1 avocado and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Put the mixture on your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes before you rinse.
6. The Butter Massage
- You use “body butter” for your dry skin so why not use butter for your dry hair as well? Butter has tons of natural dairy oils.
- Soften 1 stick of butter so that it is easily malleable in your hands.
- Massage the butter into your hair and into your scalp. Lave for 10 minutes, then rinse and wash.
7. Mayonnaise Mask
- Mayonnaise may not smell the best, but it has a ton of oils and lipids that can restore your hair to its natural luster and beauty.
- Simply use 1/2 the contents of a mayo jar on your head as a conditioner. Leave it there for about 20 minutes and wrap your head if you please.
- Rinse and condition with your regular conditioner to reduce odor.
8. Water, Water, Water
- Did you know that only 30% of people in the U.S. drink the recommended amount of fresh water each day? It’s true! If you want to get rid of dry hair, you absolutely must hydrate your body.
- Try to drink at least 8, 8-ounce glasses of water every day.
- Water includes milk and juice.
9. Warm Olive Oil Treatment
- When your hair is too dry, it needs more moisture, and what better to provide moisture than olive oil?
- Warm up 2/3 cup of olive oil in a sauce pan and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Try rose or lavender.
- Apply the hot oil treatment to your hair, wrap your head in saran wrap, and wait for 30 minutes. Wash out the mixture and shampoo your hair well. Do this every other day.
10. Beer Rinse
- Believe it or not, the wheat in beer can give your hair real shine! Beer has been used for many decades as a go-to conditioner for dry hair.
- Open a can of light wheat beer, put it in a cup with a spout, and standing over the bathtub, rinse it onto your hair.
- Wait 10 minutes, then rinse with clear water and shampoo.
As a final note, remember that in many cases, dry hair is the cause of improper care. For example, if you are using a blow dryer plus flat iron on your hair every day, this is too much heat. Try to aid dry your hair when you can and use a heat protectant spray with heat products. Most importantly, follow the guidelines mentioned here for excellent home remedies that will keep your hair beautiful!
Overall, I hope you enjoy this article, and as always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts below.