Head lice is not something that anyone wants to have to deal with. Having head lice on your own head, your partner’s head or the head of one of your children can make you feel dirty, and it might even make the home you live in feel dirty.
Fortunately, there are some great home remedies that can take care of head lice in a flash! With the following 10 home remedies, you can have the power to get rid of lice in your own hands without even setting foot out your door. You won’t need fancy rinses or expensive doctors to take care of this problem. Take care of it yourself with natural remedies, and learn how below!
1. Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)
- You don’t need to mix petroleum jelly or Vaseline with anything before applying to your hair. Simply take a small amount out of the container and coat your hair with it.
- Put a close fitting shower cap on your head or a long piece of saran wrap. Leave the jelly on overnight. In the morning, it will be hard to remove the jelly, so use baby oil to help you.
- After using the baby oil, wash your hair with your regular shampoo and dry with a hair dryer. Comb through with a nit comb when finished.
2. Garlic and Onions
- You be making a paste from your garlic onions by blending 3 garlic cloves and 2 small onions in a blender or food processor. Then, get the juice out of the paste by pressing.
- Put the juice on your scalp and try to cover all over your hairs. Leave this on for about 3 hours. Wrap it if you need to.
- Rinse your hair of the juice in the shower. Do this for 4 days, then once a week after that.
- Mayonnaise will drown the lice and kill them. All you need is straight mayo from the grocery store for this step. Coat every hair with mayo from root to tip.
- Apply some saran wrap on your hair to hold in the mayo and leave the product on your hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair well and wash with shampoo, then use a hair dryer to dry your hair. The hot air will help to eliminate the lice.
- Put about 12 almonds into a bowl of water and soak them overnight. Peel the almonds in the morning and make a paste by grinding.
- Add a few tbsp of lemon juice, and apply this paint to all of your hair. Leave the paste on for about 1 hours before rinsing.
- It is wise to use this treatment on your hair for about 3 months and once or twice per week.
- Create a paste with neem leaves, and apply it to your scalp
- Leave the paste on for about 2 or 3 hours.
- Do this once per week for 2 months or until you notice that the lice are gone.
6. White Vinegar
- You will start by mixing about 1/2 cup of mineral oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar in a small bowl. Make sure to mix it well and not let it separate.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and make sure it rub it in. Do not leave any of the mixture left in the bowl. Use it all.
- Leave the mixture on your scalp for approximately 20 minutes. It may be helpful to put a shower cap over your hair to keep it from dripping. Do this every day until the lice is gone.
7. Rubbing Alcohol
- Bend over your bathtub and drizzle some rubbing alcohol diluted in water into your hair. Spread it throughout your hair.
- Leave the rubbing alcohol on her hair for about 10 minutes before rinsing with water.
- You should then use a nit comb to get any eggs out. Condition with your favorite conditioner and shampoo again. Do this 3 times per week for at least a month.
8. Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil is great at killing off lice, and it smells great too! Simply put together a few drops of tea tree oil with your normal shampoo amount. Mix in your palm and wash your hair.
- You can add olive oil to your mixture if you like, and you should also try to wash your hair twice a day.
- If you wash your hair once a day, do this for a week. If you wash it twice a day, do it for 4 days.
9. Olive Oil
- You will want to warm up your olive oil before you use it. Put 4 tbsp of the oil in a pan plus a little bit of camphor.
- When the substance is warm but not hot, apply it to your hair and try to cover everything. Massage it in.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on overnight. Do this every night until lice is no longer on your hair.
10. Lemon Juice
- Squirt lemon juice onto your scalp and pull the juice throughout your hair with a comb. Put a shower cap over your hair, and leave the juice on for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Use lemon juice on your hair for 6 or 7 days in a row before the lice is gone.
Many people think that having head lice means that you are dirty or messy. This is simply not true. Absolutely anyone can get head lice. In fact, lice like to live and burrow on heads that are clean sometimes. For this reason, it is important to remember that if you get head lice, you should not be ashamed. Simply take care of the problem with the remedies listed above, and you should have no problems whatsoever!
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, or questions below.