Getting ready for a big event like a wedding, graduation or even just a hot date can be a frustrating experience when you have puffy eyes. This skin condition can happen for many different reasons. For example, if you have recently eaten a lot of salty foods, your eyes may be puffy. Some people get severely puffy eyes after they’ve been crying for a while. Finally, it could just be a genetic phenomenon. In some people, their under eye areas are naturally puffy.
No matter what the reason or cause, puffy eyes are simply no fun for anyone. But fortunately, for you, if you have puffy eyes that you’d like to get rid of, you’re in the right place. Here, we have compiled a list of 10 amazing home remedies that can cure you of your puffy eyes. Let’s get started.
1. Drink Up the Water
- Water is an important part of everyone’s bodies. It is vital that you drink enough water each day to nourish your skin, and if you have puffy eyes, you might not be drinking quite enough.
- Try to drink at least 8-8 ounce glasses of water every day.
- Remember that if you get sick of drinking plain tap or bottled water, you can always drink sparking water, some juices, decaffeinated teas and milk to help up your water intake each day.
2. Try an Ice Pack
- Sometimes, you need to treat eye puffiness like any type of swelling and ice it.
- Keep a pliable gel ice pack in your freezer. When you have puffy eyes, take it out and wrap it in a towel.
- Put the towel wrapped ice pack over your eyes while you are lying down, and leave it on for about 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Eat More Potassium Rich Foods
- Foods that are rich in potassium will help soak up some of the water retention that might be causing your puffy eyes in the first place.
- Choose foods that are rich in potassium when you make each meal.
- Some of the best potassium rich foods are dark leafy greens, white beans, bananas, potatoes, fish like salmon and avocados. You can find a full list of these foods online.
4. Try a Homemade Eye Cream With Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil
- An eye cream may help to calm down the puffiness as well.
- To make your own eye cream, you’ll want to combine coconut oil (for its hydration and creaminess) with aloe vera gel (for its cooling and calming effects).
- Simply mix up 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with t tablespoon of coconut oil. Keep the cream you’ve made in a small jar, and put a tiny bit on your under eyes every evening and when they are especially puffy. Do not rinse off.
5. Try a Quick Cool Water Splash
- When time is of the essence, and you are in a hurry, a cool water splash quickly to your face can help tremendously.
- Simply hold your face over the sink (make sure it’s clean of dirt, oil and makeup) and splash cool water three times quickly over your face.
- You’ll want to do this with very cold water, which may be quite a shock, but it will certainly help!
6. Stop Consuming so Much Salt
- Salt is the enemy when it comes to puffy eyes, so you need to cut a lot of it out of your diet.
- To do this, try to replace salt with other spices. Use more ground black pepper, for instance, or you might even try some new spices like paprika, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Finally, try a salt replacement. These are available online or at most health food stores.
7. A cucumber Slice on Each Eye
- Cucumbers are usually the go-to solution for puffy eyes, and this is with good reason. Cucumbers are almost all water, and when you put a freshly sliced cucumber on your skin, you get those hydrating benefits right away.
- Cut two slices of cucumber and lay down on the floor, a bed or a couch.
- Put a slice over each eye with eyes closed, and set a timer for 10 minutes. Put on some calming music to have while you lay there. In no time, the puffiness will be gone.
8.Lose the Stress
- Stress is a huge cause of puffiness around the eyes for many people.
- Stress and anxiety cause our bodies to retain water and have trouble with regularity. This can make up bloated and puffy everywhere—even around the eyes. Find ways to reduce your stress levels. Some examples are meditation, exercise, mindfulness and yoga.
- Remember that often excess stress leads to crying as well, and we all know how puffy our eyes can get after we’ve been crying.
9. Fight Those Allergies
- Many people get puffy eyes when they have allergies.
- You can fight allergies at home with natural products. Try homemade echinacea teas or green teas. You might also try taking more vitamin D and increasing the foods you eat that have vitamin C in them.
- If you need to, see a doctor about your allergies.
10. Get Your Vision Checked
- Lastly, some people have trouble with the skin around their eyes when they need to have their vision checked.
- See an eye doctor as soon as possible to see what they can do for you if you suspect this might be what’s causing your puffy eyes.
Remember, you don’t have to live with puffy eyes. There are ways to take care of them, and we have compiled the absolute best ways to do so here for you. Please take the time to try each of these amazing at home remedies. Everyone’s skin is different, so find the remedies that work best for you and use them to say goodbye to puffy eyes once and for all!
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave your thoughts below. I look forward to the discussion.