No one likes scars anywhere on their bodies, but unfortunately, scars are a part of life. Whether it’s scars from giving birth to a child, a sports wound or a surgical scar, many times, these are things on our skin that represent big events in our lives.
But then there are scars that are simply a nuisance. These scars are things we would be better off without, and it’s best that we learn how to get rid of them in the easiest ways possible. This article has 10 amazing things you can do in the comfort of your own home to take care of scars. Read on to learn more!
1. Use a Cut Raw Onion
- It is not well known, but in many of the scar serums and creams that you’ll find in stores, onion juice is a main ingredient.
- The reason that onions are so great for scars is that they themselves have many layers to them, and they are great at regrowing these layers. In this vein, they can help with regrowing your own skin’s layers as well!
- To use onions on your scars, simply cut a large sweet onion in half. Rub the cut side on your scars every day and do not rinse!
2. Honey and Salt Exfoliating Cleanse
- Honey is a wonderful and all natural antiseptic, so it can regenerate new skin growth, and salt is a great exfoliant.
- To make a honey and salt exfoliating cleanser, just mix 1 tablespoon of salt with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Wet your face, the massage the exfoliator onto your skin with your finger tips for about 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
3. Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba Oil Combined
- Tea tree oil is great for clearing out the pores and healing skin quickly. Jojoba oil is one of the best carrier oils because tea tree oil is often too strong and potent to use on its own.
- Mix about 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil. After mixing well, put the mixture on your scars, and leave it on for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water. Do this once per day.
4. Lemon and Other Citrus Juices
- Citrus juices like lemons are some of the only natural fruits that can actually lighten the skin the way that bleach can.
- We don’t want to use harsh chemicals like bleach on our skin, so citrus juices are perfect.
- To use lemons, limes, oranges or grapefruits to get rid of scars, simply cut one of these fruits in half, and rub the cut side onto the area of the skin where you have scars. Do this daily.
5. Baking Soda, Avocado and Oil Mask
- You can create a wonderful mask to be used once every day or once every other day to get rid of scars anywhere on the body.
- Making this mask is easy. You just need 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda, an avocado and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well.
- Apply the mask to dry and clean skin and let it sit there for about 20 to 30 minutes before you rinse it off with some lukewarm water and pat dry.
6. Stop Picking at Pimples
- Many scars that people have are caused by pimples or blackheads on the face or chest. These are pesky things that many of want to pop or pick at, but don’t!
- Popping or picking at facial blemishes is what causes them to scar.
- Leave blemishes alone, or if you must touch them, do so with clean and sanitary cotton swabs, then disinfect after with alcohol or witch hazel.
7. Stay Out of the Sun
- When you sit out in the sun or allow yourself to tan or sunburn, you are asking for scars and other spots on the skin to form.
- The sun is sort of like a tattoo artist in that it makes new spots on the skin and also causes old spots to stick around longer.
- Always cover your skin with clothing and wear a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 when you go outside.
8. Stop Smoking
- It is widely known that smoking is generally bad for your overall health, but it can also make scars much worse.
- This is because smoking takes away much needed oxygen from the skin. This oxygen would otherwise be used to reproduce new layers of skin, but when it’s not there, scars get worse, and the skin is dull and grey.
9. Cocoa Butter Every Day and Night
- Cocoa butter is a very soothing cream that can help to replenish moisture in the skin and invite new growth.
- Use cocoa butter on your skin every morning and every evening to get rid of scars.
- Because cocoa butter is solid at room temperature, always warm it in your hands before massaging onto scars.
10. Vitamin E Oil Massage
- Vitamin E oil can get rid of acne, wrinkles, age spots and of course, scars. It’s even good for stretch marks scars!
- To use this oil on the skin, wash your hands and the area you will be applying the oil to. Pat dry.
- Put just a few drops of the oil onto your fingertips and massage it into your scars. Do this daily and do not rinse.
Scars are often the cause of being careless with your body. Remember to always wear protective gloves and clothing when you are working outside or around the house with tools. This can keep you safe from cuts or scrapes that may later turn into scars. In addition, remember to treat acne if you suffer from this skin issue. When a scar does occur (and they will!), just use the 10 home remedies found here to get rid of it.
Have questions or comments? Let me know what you think below!