It is quite common to have toenail fungus, but of course, no one wants it! Toenail fungus is also called onychomycosis. Many people get it from other people as some forms of fungus can be contagious and may be spread in public locker rooms, showers or gym floors. You might also get a fungus from wearing socks that are dirty or not washing your feet properly.
Whatever the reason that toenail fungus shows up, it’s certainly no fun to have. Fortunately, you can rid yourself of that pesky toenail fungus with the amazing home remedies listed below. In the article that follows, you will find 10 full-proof remedies for taking care of that fungus between your toes with the natural products that you likely already have in your home. Read on to learn more.
1. White Vinegar
- You will also be creating a soaking solution for this as well. Put 1/2 cup of white or apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup of warm or hot water. Mix together and put your affected foot in.
- Leave the foot in the bath for 10 to 20 minutes and let it soak. Dry off your foot when you’re done.
- Use this foot bath two or even three times a day to get rid of toenail fungus as soon as possible.
2. Baking Soda
- You will be creating a bath solution for your foot or feet that are affected by toenail fungus.
- Add 1/4 cup of store bought hydrogen peroxide and 1/3 cup of baking soda. You should also put in enough epsom salt to make the solution medium salty.
- Soak your foot or feet for about 20 to 30 minutes and rinse it off with fresh water. Dry the foot with a clean towel.
3. Lavender Oil
- Put a few drops of lavender oil into a cotton ball. Try adding tea tree oil if you like.
- Use the cotton ball to cover the affected area. If you can, leave it on for the entire day, but otherwise, you can rinse it off after 30 minutes.
- If you do not leave the oil on all day, make sure to reapply it at least three times a day.
4. Tea Tree Oil
- This solution will be put right onto the toenail fungus. It will be a small amount of solution, but it will go a long way in helping to treat the issue.
- Start creating the mixture by putting a few drops of tea tree oil into about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix the combination well.
- Using a cotton ball, put the mixture onto the fungus and let it sit there for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the mixture with the cotton ball but do not rinse off.
- Mouthwash is a strong antiseptic that can be used on the feet and other parts of the body as well. Choose any mouthwash you like.
- Put a large amount of mouthwash into a basin, and put your feet in. Let is sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water.
- Use this remedy two times a week to clear up the fungus.
6. Orange Oil
- Orange oil is known for its anti-fungal properties. Use a dropper to put the oil directly onto the fungus.
- Rinse the oil off after no more than 40 minutes.
- Use this oil treatment 3 times a day until the fungus is gone.
7. Oil of Oregano
- Oil of oregano can be purchased online or at grocery stores.
- Mix a few teaspoons of oil of oregano to 1 teaspoon of olive or jojoba oil.
- Put this mixture on your toenail fungus and let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off, and let the area dry, then apply it again directly after. Rinse and dry again. Do this every day for a week to get rid of the fungus.
8. Lemon Juice
- Just like garlic, lemon juice also has antiseptic properties. Put 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice into a basin along with enough warm water to cover your foot in the basin.
- Insert your foot or feet into the lemon juice basin and let them sit for 1/2 an hour. You can also add 3 tbsp of olive oil to the basin to create a moisturizing effect.
- Rinse off your feet with fresh water and pat them dry.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Put 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water into a basin and mix together.
- Put your affected toe into the basin and let it soak there for 30 minutes. Try to warm up the water beforehand to make the solution more soothing.
- As a side note, try adding some rough rice flour to create a scrub on your toes.
- Garlic a strong fruit that has a lot of ajoene and allicin in it, and it has anti-fungal properties that can get rid of toenail fungus.
- Mix some minced garlic with a splash of white vinegar as well as 1/4 cup of olive or coconut oil.
- Smother the area on your foot or feet that is being affected by toenail fungus. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse it with water.
Remember, even though toenail fungus is mostly just annoying and embarrassing, it can also be hazardous to your health in some cases. If you leave toenail fungus untreated, this issue can cause a range of more complicated health problems like splitting or cracking toenails or even the loss of toenails.
There’s no need to worry, however, because the remedies listed and detailed here can save you! Remember to take care of your feet, and use these remedies to help out with the cases of fungus that might occur.
Have questions or comments? Let me know what you think below!